Monday, August 21, 2017

A Day In The Life



6:30 AM
Wake up.
Thank God for last night’s sleep and ask him for the grace to faithfully live by my Christian values this day.

6:45 AM
Morning meditation.

7:15 AM
Breakfast of banana, papaya and mango. Since I am not a coffee drinker, I found a fruit company that makes a good pineapple juice.  I enjoy some wheat bread from a local bakery with peanut butter (bought from some other missionaries in country) and honey produced by the Cistercian monastery!

9:00 AM
Today I was scheduled to offer “Beginning Excel for Accountants” in the youth office at 9 am, but I have learned nothing starts on time here. We had about 10 attendants. I spent a couple hours sharing the basics of Excel. I assigned some homework so they could practice making a simple spreadsheet that included a personal budget.  Although the initial course was only scheduled for two days, it is clear that some people would like the classes to continue and learn more of the advanced functionality of excel. 

11:45 AM
Headed to Mass at noon.

1:00 PM
Went home for lunch and a short rest.
I am filling in for Fr. Godlove, who is away on vacation, so I prepared for the catechism classes he has been offering to the youths since they have not had school for over six months.  I spend some time organizing my thoughts and preparing my notes.  I also borrowed a copy of the catechism from my neighbor (mine is back in storage in California). 

3:00 PM
Headed to the cathedral.
Internally, I was concerned about relating to the youths and presenting in a way that would be engaging and helpful for their formation. Those in attendant spanned from about 7 years old to high school age, and I found it difficult to keep their attention. Despite the challenges, it was a good experience because it stretched me and helped me to learn how to minister to the youth over here.  In all honesty, I am much more comfortable addressing and speaking to young adults but that was not my audience.

4:00 PM
Left for French Class. I ended the catechism class early because for the last two months I have been taking French classes at a nearby institution.  The class is a two hours, and is offered three times a week at Franco Alliance. Our instructor is a lively and entertaining Cameroonian Frenchman. 

6:30 PM 
I had dinner with a Cameroonian neighbor, Brenda, and her family. She introduced me to her nephew who was visiting from Yaoundé.  The young guy’s name was Bright and we talked about his ambitions to study in the U.S. at one of the Ivy League schools.  We then sat down and enjoyed the meal Brenda had cooked during the day.
8:00 PM
I headed home and did my evening mediation. Then I checked emails, responded to texts and relaxed a bit. 

10:00 PM
Get ready for bed. I end my day by doing an Ignatian-style Examen and thank God for the blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Hey cuz, Haven't checked here for a bit.... your days sounds wonderful. Who knew you'd be sharing those excel skills with others.

    ReplyDelete